Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Chocolate and walnut brownie - Kastner and Ovens

I seem to have unwittingly found myself on a quest for the best brownie. It feels like a challenge I can't refuse.

While my friend Nicole assures me that Leon do the best brownie in London (I'll try that another day), today I already had my sights set on an offering by Kastner and Ovens in Floral Street, Covent Garden.

It's a very pleasant little deli, which does hot food and soups at lunchtime, a few sandwiches and chilled food and has an amazing array of cakes, tarts, biscuits and all things sweet. And you can choose your own delicacy from the arrangement of plates - I always like that.

And the brownie? Well, it's a nutty type - it contains chunks of walnuts, the perfect amount in fact, if you are to have nuts at all in your brownie (I'm not always convinced they're necessary). It looks home-made, like it was turned out of the tray this morning. It's slightly crumbly and flaky on the outside, but it is the inside that kills the competition. It's cloyingly sweet, so moist and chewy it glistens in the light and is sticky on your fingers like a perfectly-made meringue.

Wow, this is very, very nice. The only downside I can see to this brownie is that at £1.80 it's pretty pricey, and it is verging being too sweet for me. Sadly I haven't got my camera today, so it seems I'll have to go back to obtain photographic evidence. Shame.

No comments: